Deputy Manager - Residential Children's Home
At A Wilderness Way we are committed to providing creative child centred care packages for children and young people who are looked after. We believe that every child has equal rights to the highest quality child care. We provide each young person with a safe, supportive, trusting environment with challenges that promote growth, responsibility, learning and positive outcomes and are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people in our care.
The Benefits of Joining Us
- 20 days holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Auto enrolment pension scheme
- A 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- Above and Beyond Recognition Scheme
- Full funded training for your CPD
- A 2-week induction *dependent on current qualifications
- House Induction from your Registered Manager or senior member of staff
- All meals provided whilst on shift
- Access to employee engagement events
- Team / Peer support programmes and fully supportive senior management infrastructure
About the Role
If successful, your role will be to support the Registered Manager of a 2 bedded Residential Children's Home where young people are supported in a crisis intervention 2:1 setting. Managing a team of carers providing day to day care, direction and support to young people who present challenging, emotional and social difficulties and to maintain and promote an environment using the outdoors as a medium for healing within the parameters of local and national child care practice.
- To give clear direction and management within the home in support of the Registered Manager.
- Attend and chair when required bi-monthly staff meetings and training and development sessions.
- Assist, implement and coordinate supervisions and timetables for annual appraisals in support of the Registered Manager.
- To act as a Mentor across the services
- Assist the management of the home in developing the skills and potential of residential support workers.
- Take responsibility for the effective and efficient running of shifts.
- Work within and ensure effective delivery of the policies and procedures in the home, and the organisation.
- Monitor and maintain administrative requirements, ensuring that the outcome meets the standards set out in children’s legislation, and the homes working practices.
- Ensure ongoing assessment of children and young people’s needs in day to day practice.
- Oversee, supervise and develop the skills of staff in their daily working practice.
- Promote and actively encourage the delivery of a safe, structured and nurturing environment.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team both within the home and with external agencies.
- Relate to and engage young people who display challenging behaviour.
- Assist young people to identify unsafe, dangerous, harmful and abusive situations, individuals and groups.
- To directly coach and develop staff in their use of outdoor activities and social/recreational planning for young people.
Requirements of the Role
- Hold a Level 3 in Residential Childcare (or equivalent.)
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience as an Assistant Manager, working with young people with emotional and/or behavioural difficulties. We provide a range of adventurous activities in line with our AALA License.
- You will be a highly motivated individual with a good level of flexibility and commitment to making a positive difference to our young people’s lives by supporting and leading a team of dedicated residential care workers.
- Provide on call support including evenings and weekends on a rota system.
- Provide support to other services within the organisation when required.
- Full Driving Licence.
- Knowledge of the National Care and Quality Standards
- To carry out a proportion of the contract on shift including sleep-ins paid at an enhanced rate