Job Description – Nursery Assistant/Practitioner
Main purpose of the role
- Adhering to policies and procedures and compliance with the Children’s Act, Health and Safety Legislation and within the guidelines of Ofsted. Ensuring confidentiality is maintained in the nursery
Reports to: The Nursery Nurse/Practitioner is responsible to the Nursery Manager and Supervision Staff.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Working as part of a highly motivated, enthusiastic, energetic, vibrant, flexible and professional team.
- The care and supervision of the children with regard to their physical, emotional and intellectual needs.
- The planning and preparation of activities, to meet children’s individual needs, liasing with parents and negotiating working targets ensuring effective communication within the nursery.
- Offering all children equal opportunities with regard to their religious persuasion, racial origins, gender, disabilities, cultural or linguistic background; in particular, challenging situations where racism or discrimination is displayed.
- Keeping of developmental records and observations in line with key worker system.
- Positive management of children’s behaviour.
- Preparation, care, cleanliness and maintenance of the playrooms and equipment.
- Provide good role model for children and students and help new staff to fit into the nursery.
- Keeping accident and incident records.
- Supervision of snacks and mealtimes and where appropriate preparation of meals and snacks, preparation of babies’ bottles and feeds.
- Nappy changing and laundry duties.
- Participate in annual staff appraisal scheme.
- Attend staff meetings and help prepare a forward plan for the nursery. Attend any relevant meetings and courses as directed by Manager. Take part in special events, outings and visits.
- Advise Manager of any matter requiring attention such as concerns about a child, or equipment needing repair or replacement. Help transport children to and from school ensuring safety of staff and children at all times.
- Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the post as directed by the Manager or Senior Nursery Nurse
- The company job description is a working document and therefore may be changed or added to when required. This will be reviewed by management throughout employment and used during trial periods and on-going supervision meetings